Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Text Size

Frequently Asked Questions

This is a list of questions we frequently hear from people who are researching Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income.

Q. When should I apply?

A. You don’t have to wait until you’ve been out of work for a year to start this process. While its true that you must show that your condition is severe enough to keep you from working for a year or longer, it’s best to begin this process when you are no longer able to work, or as soon as your income drops below $1000.00 per month (2010) due to inability to work full-time because of disability.


Q. I am only able to work 5-10 hours a week because of my disability. Will this disqualify me for Social Security disability benefits?

A. No. You are eligible for Social Security disability benefits if you are unable to do “substantial gainful activity”, which amounts to earning more than $1000.00 per month. If your medical condition is causing you work less, and therefore earn less than $1000.00 per month, you can still apply for benefits.

f you have questions about how this applies to your unique situation, contact the Law Office of Rebecca Sposita, PLLC.


Q. What should I tell my doctor?

A. The Social Security regulations require medical evidence supporting your alleged impairments and describing your limitations. So, not only is it essential that you maintain regular ongoing treatment, but you must take advantage of the opportunity to inform your doctors and nurses of your condition, especially if you are only able to see the doctor every 2-3 months. At every appointment, be sure to fully disclose all your symptoms and limitations such as: where, how long and how frequently you feel pain; what makes it better or worse; if you have to take frequent breaks or naps and for how long; if your medications cause side effects; how long and how frequently you experience swelling; how your mood and behavior changes; if you need assistance with personal care; and how your activities have changed as a result.

Not following your doctor’s prescribed treatment can be detrimental to your appeal. This includes refusing to take prescribed medication or not taking it as prescribed.

Ideally, anything you would testify to in your hearing should be found in the medical evidence. It is much more difficult for a judge to discredit your testimony, or your doctor’s medical opinion, if your allegations are documented in the record.

If you have questions about how this applies to your unique situation, contact the Law Office of Rebecca Sposita, PLLC.


Q. Can my family get benefits?

A. A claimant’s family members may be eligible for benefits if the claimant is receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).

a) The claimant’s spouse, if he or she is 62 or older; 
b) The claimant’s spouse, at any age if he or she is caring for a child of yours who is younger than age 16 or disabled; 
c) The claimant’s unmarried child, including an adopted child, or, in some cases, a stepchild or grandchild. The child must be under age 18 or under age 19 if in elementary or secondary school full time; and 
d) The claimant’s unmarried child, age 18 or older, if he or she has a disability that started before age 22. (The child’s disability also must meet the definition of disability for adults.)

If you have questions about how this affects your family, contact the Law Office of Rebecca Sposita, PLLC.



Q. If I win, how much will my disability benefits be?

A. The disability benefits you will receive are based on your average lifetime earnings. This amount is listed in annual Social Security statements that you may have received. We at the Law Office of Rebecca Sposita, PLLC can help you understand what your benefits would be during your free evaluation.



Q. What are your fees?

A. At the Law Office of Rebecca Sposita, PLLC, there is NO ATTORNEY FEE UNLESS THE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION APPROVES YOUR CLAIM. This means that there is only a fee if the claim is successful and benefits are paid. Additionally, fees are set, regulated and capped by the Social Security Administration.


Q. Why should I hire a lawyer?

A. A Disability Lawyer, like the Law Office of Rebecca Sposita, PLLC can Help You by:

  • Helping you tell your story
  • Protecting your right to a fair hearing
  • Appealing the Social Security Administration's decisions
  • Helping you gather the necessary medical evidence to win your case
  • Requesting copies of your medical records for you
  • Obtaining a detailed report by your doctor to prove your disability
  • Ensuring all forms and paperwork are submitted on time
  • Helping you prepare for your court hearing
  • Representing you in court
  • Presenting evidence in support of your claim before a judge
  • Cross-examining medical or non-medical advisors called by the judge
  • Greatly improving your chance of winning Social Security benefits

Q. What locations do you service?

A. We handle cases throughout Michigan and in the Central and West Coast Florida areas.


Central Florida:

Serving the metropolitan Orlando area including Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Lake, Brevard, Volusia, Polk, Flaggler and Sumter Counties.

West Central Coast:

Serving the Tampa Bay are including Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco and Hernando Counties.


In Oakland County, Michigan:

Milford, Highland, White Lake, Waterford, Pontiac, Auburn Hills, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Troy, Holly, South Lyon, New Hudson, Commerce, Wixom, Walled Lake, Novi, Bloomfield, West Bloomfield, Keego Harbor, Orchard Lake, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Grand Blanc, Romeo, Southfield, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Birmingham, Clarkston, Oak Park, Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Addison Township, Berkley, Clyde, Drayton Plains, Lake Angelus, Lakeville, Oakland, Ortonville, Union Lake, Sylvan Lake, Oxford, Leonard, Lake Orion, Lake Orion Heights, Franklin, Davisburg, Clawson, Bingham Farms, Andersonville, Beverly Hills, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Lathrup Village, Oxbow, Oakwood, Springfield Township, Wolverine Lake, and all other townships, cities, and villages in Oakland County, Michigan.

In Wayne County, Michigan:

Allen Park, Flat Rock, Highland Park, Detroit, Hamtramck, Rockwood, Beech, Fort Wayne, Inkster, Romulus, Belleville, French Landing, Lincoln Park, Belleville, Belleville North, Garden City, Livonia, Sheldon, Canton, Gibraltar, Maple Beach, Southgate, Cherry Hill, Grand View Acres, Martinsville, Stark, Cherry Island, Melvindale, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Ile, Taylor, New Boston, Trenton, Delray, Northville, Waltz, Denton, Norton, Wayne, Oak, West Sumpter, East Rockwood, Plymouth, Westland, Ecorse, Redford, Willow, Edgewater Heights, Hand, River Rouge, Woodhaven, Elm, Harper Woods, Riverview, Wyandotte, and and all other townships, cities, and villages in Wayne County, Michigan.

In Livingston County, Michigan:

Brighton, Howell, Fowlerville, Pinckney, Hartland, Hell, Parshallville, Whitmore Lake, Cohoctah Township, Conway Township, Deerfield Township, Genoa Township, Green Oak Township, Hamburg Township, Handy Township, Iosco Township, Marion Township, Oceola Township, Putnam Township, Tyrone Township, Undilla Township, Anderson, Fleming, Pettysville, Kaiserville, Chalkerville, Lakeland, Plainfield, Chilson, Gregory, Nicholson, Rushton, Hallers Corners, Oak Grove, Parishfield, Deer Creek, Williamsville, and all other townships, cities, and villages in Livingston County, Michigan.

In Genesee County, Michigan:

Burton, Clio, Davison, Fenton, Flint, Flushing, Gaines, Goodrich, Grand Blanc, Linden, Montrose, Mt. Morris, Otisville, Otter Lake, Swartz Creek, Argentine, Duffield, Atlas, Farrandville, Lake Fenton, Pine Run, Bayport Park, Fenton, Lakeside, Rankin, Beecher, Flint, Lapeer Heights, Richfield Center, Belsay, Rogersville, Brent Creek, McGrew Junction, Russellville, Genesee, Thetford Center, and all other townships, cities, and villages in Oakland County, Michigan.

In Macomb County, Michigan:

Anchor Bar Gardents, Davis, Mt. Clemens, St. Clair Haven, Anchor Bay Harbor, Disco, Mt. Vernon, St. Clair Shores, Anchor Bay Shores, Eastpointe, New Baltimore, Sebille Manor, Armada, Fraser, New Haven, Shelby, Broad Acres, Lakeside, Point Lakeview, Sterling Heights, Cady, Lottivue, Preston Corners, Utica, Center Line, Macomb, Ray Center, Waldenburg, Chesterfield, Meade, Richmond, Warren, Chesterfield Shores, Memphis, Romeo, Washington, Clifton Mills, Milton, Roseville, Wolcott Mills, and Clinton Township.

In Washtenaw County, Michigan:

Ann Arbor, Foster, Manchester, Saline, Barton Hills, Fourmile Lake, Milan, Scio, Benton, Frain Lake, Mooreville, Sharon Hollow, Bridgewater, Geddes, Notten, Stony Creek, Brookville, Guthrie, Paint Creek, Sylvan Center, Chelsea, Hudson Mills, Pittsfield, Whittaker, Dexter, Jerusalem, Rawsonville, Willis, Dixboro, Lanewood, River Raisin, Willow Run, Dover, Lima Center, Rogers Corner, Worden, Eastlawn, Lincoln, Salem, Ypsilanti, Emery, Lyndon Center, Delhi Mills, Northfield, Rowes Corner, Superior, Webster, and all other townships, cities, and villages in Washtenaw County, Michigan.

In St. Clair County, Michigan:

Adair, Clays Landing, Maple Leaf, Riverside, Algonac, Columbus, Marine City, Roberts Landing, Allenton, Emmett, Martindale Beach, Ruby, Anchorville, Fair Haven, Marysville, Saint Clair, Atkins, Fargo, Miller, Sans Souci, Avalon Beach, Forster, Muirs, Smiths Creek, Avoca, Gardendale, Muttonville, Snyderville, Bedore, Goodells, North Lakeport, South Park, Belle River, Grande Pointe, Pearl Beach, Sparlingville, Berville, Hawthorne, Perch Point, Starville, Blaine, Jeddo, Peters, Tappan, Broadbridge Station, Keewahdin, Pointe aux Tremble, Thornton, Brockway, Kimball, Pointe aux Chenes, Wadmans, Capac, Lakeport, Port Huron, Wales Center, Casco, Lambs, Rttle Run, West Tappan, Cherry Beach, Lesterville, Riley Center, Yale, and all other townships, cities, and villages in Saint Clair County, Michigan.

In Sanilac County, Michigan:

Amadore, Cumber, Laing, Port Sanilac, Applegate, Decker, Lexington, Richmondville, Argyle, Deckerville, Lexington Heights, Roseburg, Austin Center, Elmer, Marlette, Sandusky, Birch Beach, Forester, McGregor, Shabbona, Blue Water Beach, Forestville, Melvin, Snover, Brown City, Freidberger, Minden City, Tyre, Carsonville, Great Lakes Beach, New Greenleaf, Valley Center, Cash, Hemans, Palms, Watertown, Charleston, Huronia Heights, Peatville, Wickware, Croswell, Juhl, Peck, and all other townships, cities, and villages in Sanilac County, Michigan.

We serve all counties in Michigan, including:


Alcona County, Alger County, Allegan County, Alpena County, Antrim County, Arenac, Baraga County, Barry County, Bay County, Benzie County, Berrien County, Branch County, Calhoun County, Cass County, Charlevoix County, Cheboygan County, Chippewa County, Clare County, Clinton County, Crawford County, Delta County, Dickinson County, Eaton County, Emmet County, Genesee County, Gladwin County, Gogebic County, Grand Traverse County, Gratiot County, Hillsdale County, Houghton County, Huron County, Ingham County, Iona County, Iosco County, Iron County, Isabella County, Jackson County, Kalamazoo County, Kalkaska County, Kent County, Keweenaw County, Lake County, Lapeer County, Leelanau County, Lenawee County, Livingston County, Luce County, Mackinac County, Macomb County, Manistee County, Marquette County, Mason County, Mecosta County, Menominee County, Midland County, Missaukee County, Monroe County, Montcalm County, Montmorency County, Muskegon County, Newaygo County, Oakland County, Oceana County, Ogemaw County, Ontonagon County, Osceola County, Oscoda County, Otsego County, Ottawa County, Presque Isle County, Roscommon County, Saginaw County, Sanilac County, Schoolcraft County, Shiawassee County, St. Clair County, St. Joseph County, Tuscola County, Van Buren County, Washtenaw County, Wayne County, and Wexford County.

GoVisits :: web directory